Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Saved Children

Tedd Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart is a must read for any parent who struggles to bring their children up "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4). It is also for those of us who desire to be used by the Lord to not just raise well-behaved kids, but those who will understand and live out the truth that "Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever."

Something in chapter 5, titled "Examining Your Goals," caught my attention. I've discussed this issue with a lot of people and this is the first time I've read something that clearly articulated what I believe about it. I think you'll figure out after reading this where I stand on this :). I'd love to get some feedback on this.
Saved Children
     I have met many parents whose preoccupation is getting their children saved. They focus on getting their children to pray "the sinner's prayer." They want him to ask Jesus to come into his heart. They take Johnny to Child Evangelism Fellowship functions, Good News Clubs, summer camps or anywhere else where someone will bring him to decision to trust Christ.
     They think that if their child would get saved, all the problems of living would be solved. Sometimes parents feel this way because, in their own experience, getting saved was a spiritual watershed. They want their child to have that experience too.
     This is a sensitive issue that must be tempered by two facts: 1) You can never know with absolute certainty whether your child is saved. Many passages such as the "Lord, Lord" passage at the end of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7:21-23) indicate that false faith can carry someone a long way. The heart can even deceive itself. Thus the Bible warns about the dangers of being self-deceived and exhorts you to test yourself to see whether you are in the faith. 2) A child's profession of faith in Christ does not change the basic issues of childrearing. The parent's goals are the same. The things the child is called to are the same. He requires the same training he required before. He will have times of tenderness and times of spiritual coldness. The parent's task does not change when the child makes a decision.
     There are many passages that teach the need to shepherd, to train, to instruct, and to discipline your children. None of these passages has getting a child to pray the "sinner's prayer" as its focus. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree Joshy. It would be easy to see a child's praying the "sinner's prayer" as an end goal in our job as parents. Of course such an event should be celebrated and the Lord should be praised but it should in no way be seen as a conclusion. I can't help but wonder if our use of the word "saved" plays a role in this. We seem to understand "saved" as final but, I don't know about you but I'm still battling my flesh. It's true that I am set free and that I hope in someone who is strong and able but my salvation will be final when I see Him face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. my prayer is that they would truly know Him, and the same is my prayer for me. If His desire is for us to know Him intimately (similar to how you mentioned in the 'Lord, Lord' verse) like in Jeremiah 9:24, (that we understand and know Him), I sure desire for mysself and them to know Him more. My (our) prayer is that they (and I!) would truly sense Jesus, His Spirit, so that 'Spirit-led' is just as normal as the breath I just took.

    tg, yes face to face...

    ReplyDelete